Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lukewarm Reactions to Favored Obama Veep Candidate

So Obama is starting to seriously float veep names and will likely make a choice very soon. This article (NY Mag) about a possible nod to VA Gov Tim Kaine worries me a bit. They go through the possible positives and negatives (as seen by the media) and I am not seeing a whole lot on the positive side honestly. I do not know anything about him besides this article so I cant add or detract.
+ He might deliver the red state -> blue state that everyone is saying he needs right now.
- He MIGHT deliver VA. Only 50% favorability and similar geographic favorability as what Obama already has.
+ He is a DC outside.
- Obama is getting slammed for being a DC outside.
- No foreign policy experience. Same as Obama.
+ Centrist
- Centrist
+ Can deal with Republicans and has experience balancing budgets.
+ "comes across as very warm. Empathetic. Normal guy. Not politician-y.", "has below-average looks." Honestly? This is a talking point? So sad but true.
+ "serve as ambassador" to "four key groups: Virginians, Catholics, working-class white voters, and Hispanics"

I do not know who he should have as his running mate. I do not think it should be Hillary. But I am not sure that this is the guy either. He needs someone who can get him the votes that he can't seem to. He needs someone with foreign policy experience (not because I personally think that is what makes a president, but because it seems like everyone else does.) He needs someone who can get religious, working class, white and Hispanic voters. And he needs to fulfill this "experience in general" void, whatever that means. I guess someone who has spent a significant time in office (aka older). And I guess someone with military experience. So anyone have any ideas? Oh an be sure to check out the comments to the original article. Priceless. Really.

No comments: