Friday, July 25, 2008

Happy Culinarians Day!

This day is for all of you cookers out there!

Most importantly, in my opinion, my surgery was one year ago today. That fateful Wednesday that pretty much ruined the rest of my year, my abdomen, and still gives me nightmares. In honor of it being one year since the original incision was made, I demand no more scar pain!

Last night I made Thai Chicken Saute for dinner. Ours didnt really look like that. It was much redder and a bit wetter. I pretty much followed the recipe except I used Texmati rice instead of the boil-in-a-bag kind. And sliced chicken breasts instead of tenders. And I substituted half worchestershire sauce and half soy sauce for the fish sauce. And I used a little over 1/2 cup of coconut milk (not light). It was very good and we will definitely make it again. The full amount of Sriacha is not too overpowering or spicy which I was concerned about.

During dinner we watched the last episodes of Undeclared. All in all a good series, much more mainstream than Freaks and Geeks with frequent appearances from well-known actors (eg. Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller). I like Freaks and Geeks better I think though. But all in all worth a watch if you like Judd Apatow.

The rest of the evening was spent playing Lego Star Wars.

At 2 am someone rung our buzzer instead of one of our neighbors which was confusing and upsetting at the time. Oh well. It rarely happens and we both went back to sleep fairly quickly.

We have 5 new cucumbers waiting to be picked. 3 bell peppers, finally starting to turn red. 2 dozen serranos, some of which are also turning red. A half dozen green tomatoes. This morning I got a strawberry! Yay! I beat the animal! It was tiny but delicious.

We are going to try to get Matty's iPhone this weekend. And also see The Dark Knight. Which is good. Because too many people around me have seen it. And things keep slipping. And I get angry. And I really really really want to see it. The only thing is I know that we are going to be sitting near someone who talks through the whole movie. Because everyone in Philly talks through the whole movie. That's what they do. They spend $15 to sit in a giant room full of strangers so that they can talk throughout an entire movie. Sometimes it is actually about the movie. Not always. There are also the yellers. "Don't answer the door!" Or the play-by-players. "Aw, he hit her! Oooo, she hit him back!" Because apparently they are with people who are blind and slightly deaf but spent $15 to sit through a movie they cant see and also cant really hear or understand. Or the explainers. "No, see he doesn't know that she knows about that thing that those people did with the cat." Honestly people. Shut up! I dont mind laughter (reasonable laughter), or gasps or whatever. But no talking! Stop talking!

Animal matters: Each definition below applies to a word that begins with the name of a different insect. Can you find all three words?
1) Advertising circular _____ (5 letters)
2) Pager ______ (6 letters)
3) Opposite __________ (10 letters)

No comments: