Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy National Caviar Day

I really do want to talk about things that other people would actually care about . . . but I am just not that clever or informed or opinionated. Sorry.

Last night Matty chose our meal. I wanted to include him more in the food decisions. He helps cook and never complains and sometimes suggests things. But really it is pretty much me deciding what we are going to eat. So I asked him to pick one recipe to eat this week. He chose Potato Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chili Sauce from the Veganomicon. And it was awesome. I will say that right off the bat. It was absolutely fantastic. However. It took almost 3 hours to make. The recipe says 1 hour. Maybe if Superman and Rachael Ray were cooking together. 3 hours. Worth it? Maybe. I would even make it again. But I would make the sauce the night before. Oh, and we only roasted the peppers (1 frying, 3 serrano) for 15 minutes instead of 25 and steamed them for 5 instead of 30. And we didnt puree the sauce because we had already dirtied pretty much everything in the kitchen and I didnt want Matty to have a stroke. And at the end we sprinkled with some chihuahua cheese, unveganing it. But it really was fantastic. And I dont think it was just because we were starving.

During the 3 hour enchilada-fest Matty made blueberry muffins. From scratch. From Mom's Big Book of Baking. We are trying to eat more berries. And Matty wanted to bring something to the Kettering's. (I did too. I was planning on bringing a cucumber and some serranos. Of course they are still in my fridge, so that isnt happening.) I tried a muffin. It was very good. Lots of blueberries and a nice lemony-ness.

While we cooked we watched VH1's Greatest Songs of the 80s. I am not sure I completely agree with the rankings. But they were pretty good. After that (we got sucked in) we watched VH1 Rock Honors The Who. The Who are awesome. I should listen to more of The Who. Really. Especially Quadrophenia. Pearl Jam performed (as did Foo Fighters, Flaming Lips, Incubus, Tenacious D and Adam Sandler. You know who is getting old? Eddie Vedder. He is 43. Eddie vedder should not be 43. Am I alone on this?

This weekend we are taking a mini-trip to Lancaster to visit the birthplace of our favorite beer. We are taking the train and staying with Dan's parents (the Ketterings, back to the muffins). It is hotter than hell in Philly. Hopefully it will be cooler out there.

Changeovers: In each row, think of the six-letter answer to the clue on the left, then remove its last letter to make the five letter answer to the clue on the right.
1) Moon indentation ______ Wooden shipping container _____
2) Soft color ______ Glue _____
3) Like a cheapskate ______ Bee's defense _____

2 comments:

Beta said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post!
Highlights:
1. food description - always love it
2. laughed out loud at the comments about eddie vedder
3. a PICTURE!! yay.

nicole said...

eddie vedder is 43?!?!?!?! awww, now i feel old. I was SSSOOOO in love with him in middle school (did i just say middle school? )...so yeah, he definately is old. but hot, very very hot. or at least i used to think so.