Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I got Ronned, he Ronned me . . .

So last night I made one of the strangest things I have ever made. Well that might be going far seeing as I have made my own sausage. But it was pretty weird. So for dinner I made Aji de Gallina, or Peruvian Pepper Chicken, from Viva la Vida, my latin cookbook, which I got from Beta. Now the recipe called for aji amarillo, which we couldnt find (ok we didnt look, just assumed we couldnt find) so we replaced it with cayenne as the recipe said. And Matty was tricked into buying queso chihuahua instead of queso blanco. So I am sure those would have changed it quite a bit. But either way it was fantastic. Very tasty, great texture, very filling. It was great. I served it over texmati rice. It was really good. The weird thing is the sauce. So first you poach chicken in water. While you are doing that you make the sauce. So in a food processor you mix evaporated milk, cubed queso blanco (or chihuahua in our case), the aji (or cayenne in our case) and a sleeve of saltine crackers. Yeah. Weird. I know. I was freaked out too. But they add a really nice texture and depth and saltiness. You saute onion (I used yellow instead of red, I suck at following recipes) with tumeric and then add the sauce, shredded poached chicken and some of the poaching liquid. And then you cook for like 10 minutes and it is done. It is awesome. Let me know if you want the recipe. But it is weird to make.

While eating we watched the second disc of Undeclared. Still not as good as Freaks and Geeks, but enjoyable. This disc includes appearances by Adam Sandler; Allen Covert; Will Ferrell; Samm Levine, Natasha Melnick and Sarah Hagan from Freaks and Geeks; Kyle from Tenacious D; and David Krumholtz from Harold and Kumar. Oh and the post title is from an episode.

Is anyone else sick of hearing about McCain's apparent military-awesomeness and Obama's lack thereof? I understand McCain has military experience and Obama doesnt. I just dont understand how that makes him a better president except for the fact the majority of our energy and money is going into a war. I mean, wouldnt a better president be someone who is less interested in the military and more interested in say . . . the economy? I just think it is time that we stop electing people president because of their military record. Because if they fought in a major war, that means they are old (Obama was 14 when the Vietnam War ended, McCain was 5 when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Pearl FUCKING Harbor). And if their military record is so great, fine, make him Secretary of War, err Defense.

Puzzling Prices: In the vegetable market, the prices are set according to the owner's whim. An apple costs 15 cents, lettuce costs 17 cents and a pear costs 9 cents. According to this system, how much will asparagus cost?

No comments: