Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Creative Ice Cream Flavor Day

It is also of course the first day of July. Can you believe it? And of course National Television Heritage Day.

Ok, so let me see, last Friday in honor of Liam being here and to celebrate it being summer we decided to have a barbecue. Nothing fancy. Just a couple of people, some homemade burgers and sausage. Hot dogs. Pasta salad. Lager. It rained just as Matty lit the grill but stopped shortly after most people arrived. It was lovely. The rain helped cool it down some and dropped the humidity a bit.

Saturday we had brunch at Sidecar and Sue met us and then headed up to the Manayunk Arts Festival. The weather quickly got over the cooler/less humid thing. It was HOT. But there was free bottles of water, Snapple, Nantucket Nectar, vodka to be had so it wasnt that bad. The National Pork Board was there with The Other White Meat Tour handing out free pork. The Egg Beaters truck was there handing out . . . . yes! Hebrew National Breakfast Sausage links. Because what else would the Egg Beaters truck be handing out? The sausage looked like little mini hot dogs. Which isnt really what I want my breakfast sausage looking like. But tasted good. We stopped at Mugshots for some tasty smoothies and air conditioning. Our Arts festival outing was cut short by a downpour and so we decided to head back to the city. Of course it stopped raining before the train got there. Sigh. On our way back home we stopped in the Market at the Comcast Center. And to check out the giant-ass TV. It is pretty nifty in there. Fancy-pants and all. But another DiBruno's which makes me happy. And maybe my Center City working friends will have a nice new place to have lunch. Then home for some Mario Kart. Then over to Dan's for his non-work friends housewarming party. I made a taco dip. Because everyone loves taco dip. And we had a variety of grilled yummies including grilled marinated pineapple which is delicious. And frozen mocha cheesecake. Mmmmm . . . frozen mocha cheesecake. We also got to check out his brand new giant television with his brand new HD satellite TV and brand new Playstation 3. It was pretty spectacular. Matty and I need a new TV. An HD TV. Though honestly the receiver/satellite thingy is fucking enormous! I had no idea! See, I am not kidding when I say that we cant get as dish. The dish is bigger than our backyard for Christsakes. But it is very very pretty. We played a little bit of Metal Gear Solid 4, Lego Star Wars, The Simpsons Game and Ratchet and Clank. Metal Gear was the epitome of games I cant play anymore. Really pretty but way too hard. Lego Star Wars was cute, I hate the camera control (or lack thereof), but I kinda want it for the Wii now. The Simpsons Game looked cute but nothing spectacular and same with Ratchet and Clank.

Sunday Liam needed to be at the train for 9. Matty got up and walked him. I went back to bed. Once we finally roused ourselves we went on a cold cut search. We wanted good (but not ridiculously expensive) Italian cold cuts. We ended up at Trader Joe's. On the way I got myself an iced coffee. A real one! With caffeine in it. And it didnt make my sick! Yay!!!!!! When we got home we made ourselves Italian hoagies. Herbed turkey breast, proscuitto, genoa salami, hot salame, provolone, hot cherry peppers, heirloom tomatoes. Mmmmmmmmmm . . . . with leftover pasta salad. Delicious. We finished the last disc of Weeds while we ate. I am so curious about this season now! I wish we had Showtime! Then we took a walk up the dog park and bought some kosher salt. Because when we got home we made pickles! We had two huge cucumbers on our monster plant and so we decided to try our hand at pickling. We went with a basic kosher recipe because I am not a huge dill fan, dont like sweet pickles and dont own a pickling crock or jarring equipment. I think they'll be ready tonight. Last night we had to replace some of the water because it was WAY too salty. I will let you know what happens. We watched Darjeeling Limited while we ate leftover hamburgers for dinner. The movie was good. Better than Life Aquatic. Not as good as Royal Tenenbaums. I would recommend it to Wes Anderson fans. Maybe not to non-fans.

Last night I made a quick red sauce with Italian sausage, msuhrooms, red peppers and onions and we had Spinach and Ricotta raviolis from Trader Joes. Really good. Highly recommend. We also watched the last disc of Freaks and Geeks. A great show all around. Too bad it wasnt popular when it was actually airing and only had one season. Next up is Undeclared.

This morning I got my MRI results back. Apparently I strained my peroneal tendon. So I have some exercises to do. Plus ice and advil. Yay!!! This is very very good. Also I have gotten my credit card, bank card and health insurance card back.

In other news, I just found (yesterday) out that on July 21st my grandfather was admitted to a hospital in Lithuania with a (probably bacterial) infection which has not been identified. He was evacuated to Boston last Thursday and is at Mass General. He appears to be recovering slowly and will probably only be there a few more days. They still do not know what he had. My grandmother called my parents (who are on their boat) Saturday night. A week after he was originally admitted! I love my family but they drive my fucking nuts sometimes.

What two eight-letter words that are anagrams of each other can be used to complete the sentence below?
Flute player Sally found the winsome leader of her outdoor ________ band to be ________ and planned to ask him out on a date.

Supply the missing number.
30 6 6
5 11 4
7 18 5
4 5 ?

Place the same three-letter word in each blank below to make four different words.
CANTE___
HAT___
SAC___
SH___

3 comments:

Beta said...

oh my god. I just noticed that your little widget that lists other blogs shows that I haven't posted in 4 weeks. What's wrong with me!? You write these consistently thorough posts. grr.
Glad your grandfather is on the mend :)

princess said...

Yes, but your posts, while fewer and farther between are much more interesting!

nicole said...

dont feel bad about not knowing your grandfather was sick. my parents never tell me anything. i found out a few months ago that my grandfather has been battleing cancer for YEARS...YEARS....and that is was gone. (its back now and he has like...6 months to a year but probably closer to 6 months) Sad and morbid i know, but seriously, how can they not tell me someone inmy family has cancer. oh, and i found out that my cousin's wofe was pregnat like 3 weeks before the baby was born. they tell me NOTHING!!!!!!! :)

miss you!