Makes 4 serving, ACTIVE TIME: 50 minutes, TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes,EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy
It is supposed to look like the left hand pic. Ours looked like the right hand pic.Ingredients
1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided (we used ~1 cup)
½ cup finely chopped red onion (we used regular onion)
¼ cup chopped scallions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder, preferably New Mexican (we used half regular, half chipotle)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican (we used regular)
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (I used sour cream since I dont like mayo)
1 tablespoon lime juice (I juiced 1 lime)
1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (used sliced since shredded is messy on the grill)
4 French rolls, preferably whole-wheat, split and toasted (we used Sarcone's seeded baguette cuz we had it)
2 roasted Anaheim or poblano peppers (see Tip) (from our garden!)
1 cup shredded green cabbage (skipped this)
4 slices tomato
4 thin slices red onion (skipped this)"Fajita" Burgers Ingredients Cont.
"Fajita" Burgers Instructions
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Place beef, 1/4 cup cilantro, onion, scallions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick and oval-shaped to match the rolls.
3. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup cilantro (I used about 3/4 cup here), mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle in a small bowl.
4. Peel the roasted peppers, halve lengthwise and remove the seeds.
5. Oil the grill rack (see Tip, we didnt do this). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 6 minutes per side. Top with cheese and cook until it is melted, about 1 minute more.
6. Assemble the burgers on toasted rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise, half a roasted pepper, cabbage, tomato and onion."Fajita" Burgers Instructions Cont.
"Fajita" Burgers Tips
Cover and refrigerate the chipotle mayonnaise (Step 3) for up to 5 days. (This stuff is SOO tasty! I just want to eat it on everything!)
Tips: (I love this technique)
To oven-roast peppers:
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes. (I did about 25 minutes for 2 anaheims.)
3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray."Fajita" Burgers Tips Cont.
"Fajita" Burgers Nutrition Information
Per serving: 416 calories; 19 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 695 mg sodium; 628 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Zinc (47% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv). 2 Carbohydrate Servings Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 medium-fat meat