Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Not pleased

So my phone (10 month old Palm Centro) has mysteriously and suddenly to stop functioning as a "phone." I can still go on the internet, text, get my email, play solitaire, all that crap. But I cant make a phone call. Well that is not entirely true. I can make a phone call. And the person I call can hear me. And if I put it on speakerphone I can hear them. But I cant hear them on the actual phone. And apparently the only way to overcome this problem is for me to either mail my phone to Palm and have them either try to repair it or send me a refurbished one, so I wont have a phone for over a week. Or I can pay $25 and they will send me a refurbished phone and then I have to send this one back to them. I am not pleased. This is not the first time I have had a problem with this phone. But I love the Palm software. I love the Palm Desktop. All my stuff is in there. I dont want to be a Blackberry person or an iPhone person. I was perfectly happy being a Palm person. And I was so excited about the Pre. But I dont know if I can deal with Palm anymore. Sigh.

In other news, last night Matty and I went to the First Person Story Slam: Odd Jobs at L'Etage. We went to cheer Tre on. We hadnt been to one before, though we were supposed to go to the one on the 18th. But something got in the way . . . what was it? . . . oh yeah. Funeral. I guess it was an above average show last night, but Matty is totally hooked. He couldnt stop talking about it. Of course he was pretty drunk by the time we got home (after 1 on a Tuesday! I know! Scandal right?) so he was quite the talked. Right up until he passed out on the floor doing his situps. It was very cool and anyone in Philly should totally check them out in the future.

Let's see. Oh, I guess I can share some recipes. Last weekend we through the Triple Birthday Barbecue Party and had a whopping 39 people show up (not all at the same time, thank god!). And pretty much everyone brought food, which was awesome. But you know me, I cant not cook for my own party. What is the point of throwing the party? So I made a Mexican-y quinoa salad with black olives, black beans, tomatoes, peppers, hot peppers, herbs, lime. It was ok, Needed more salt and more hot pepper I think. And I made buffalo chicken dip. And Matty made me vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. My faves! And then I made a variety of dips and spreads to go with the grill items and some dippers. I made Roasted Tomato Relish with Thyme, a vegan version of Wild Mushroom Spread, Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Dip, a vegan version of Remoulade sauce and a modified chimichurri. I think they were all good. I have been putting leftover tomato relish on EVERYTHING! I made double batches of everything except the chimichurri and the remoulade (half batch).

Oh and for my birthday Matty bought me the tea kettle! The big Le Creuset one that he wanted (in Flame [my color]). It is pretty neat. I tried it out on Monday, just to hear it whistle since it has been too gaddman hot to drink hot anything.

Ok, now for the recipes.

Roasted Tomato Relish with Thyme



12 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large shallots, peeled
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place the tomatoes, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil (I used olive oil cooking spray); sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Wrap shallots in foil; add to baking sheet. Bake an additional 40 minutes or until tomatoes are lightly charred and shallots are soft (about 35 minutes). Cool 10 minutes.

Chop tomatoes and shallots; place in a medium bowl. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, and remaining ingredients to bowl; toss well. (I threw everything in the food processor).

Yield: About 1 cup (serving size: about 2 tablespoons)CALORIES 61 (55% from fat); FAT 3.7g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.4g); IRON 0.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 11mg; CARBOHYDRATE 6.9g; SODIUM 78mg; PROTEIN 1.4g; FIBER 1.2g Cooking Light, JUNE 2007

Wild Mushroom Spread



2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (about 2 large) (I chopped in food processor)
3 1/2 cups finely chopped wild or cultivated mushrooms (about 12 ounces) (I just used cremini,
I chopped in food processor)
1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened (I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese)
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
16 (1/2-ounce) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette (about 1/2 inch thick) (I just served it in a bowl with dippers on the side)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; cook 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Place mushroom mixture in a medium bowl. Place half of mushroom mixture, cream cheese, and sherry in a food processor; process until smooth. Add pureed mixture to remaining mushroom mixture. Add parsley, salt, and pepper; stir until combined. Serve with baguette slices.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 baguette slices and 2 tablespoons spread) CALORIES 140 (28% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 2.1g,mono 0.7g,poly 0.4g); IRON 1.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 10mg; CALCIUM 17mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20.6g; SODIUM 399mg; PROTEIN 5.6g; FIBER 1g Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2007

Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Dip



1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and drained
1 large garlic clove
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. With processor on, slowly add oil through food chute. Stir in salt and black pepper. (I just threw everything in all at once)

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup), CALORIES 62 (51% from fat); FAT 3.5g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.5g,poly 0.5g); IRON 0.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 16mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5.9g; SODIUM 272mg; PROTEIN 1.5g; FIBER 1.5g Cooking Light, JANUARY 2007

Remoulade Sauce (from the Gumbo Shop, this is the full recipe, I did half)
1/2 c plus 2 Tbsp Creole mustard
1/2 c mayonnaise (I used Vegenaise)
1/3 c canola oil
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp minced celery
3 Tbsp minced green onion
1 tsp minced garlic (I used 1 clove)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I used tamari)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (I used Frank's red hot)
2 Tbsp paprika (I used smoked)
1 tsp white pepper (I used black)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel, glass or crockery bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. This recipe makes about 2 cups. (I just threw everything in the food processor)

I will have to get back to you with the chimichurri recipe as it is at home at the moment.

No comments: