Monday, July 14, 2008

Happy National Nude Day

Well let me see. Friday, Matty read my blog with the rant about him not drinking and then had Joey grill him a bit about not drinking and so he gave up the not-drinking thing. Which I am pretty happy about. I will try to help him learn when to stop drinking, but him not drinking at all is simply not the answer. We had dinner at Sidecar and then walked Tank. I wish I could just rent a puppy every now and then. I know I cant have a dog. We travel way too much and we would have to move. But I really like dogs. After walking Tank we went home and watched The Kite Runner. I thought it was fantastic. Sad but not horribly depressing. Like, I cried but not too much.

Saturday we went and walked Tank again and then checked out our garden since we forgot to water on Monday. We had 4 cucmbers ready to pick (hence the picture)! Another one will be ready later this week. And there are SO many chilis. And there are 3 peppers but they arent reddening at all. There was one ripe cherry tomato which I promplty ate and there are 3 strwberries working their way to ripeness. We then went to Marathon for lunch. We could not decide what we wanted, to we figured Marathon would be perfect. I really like Marathon when I am hungry but not craving anything. After lunch we got smoothies and then we walked up to Fairmount for the Bastille Day festival. It was cute. We were there early (around 3ish) so we were too early for the main events. But it was cute. Would have been good if we were hungry but we had just eaten. And it was SOOOO hot! Ugh. So after some wandering we stopped at Trader Joes and picked up some frozen fruit and some dinner things and headed home. Con Air was on, whish is one of my guilty pleasure faves so we watched that. We made frozen margaritas (mixed berry and cantaloupe) which were very good and had chips and guac and salsa and chicken nuggets for dinner. We headed out for Absinthe for Norah's birthday but got sidetracked along the way and never ended up making it unfortunately. One of these days I will try absinthe.

Sunday we got up and lounged a bit and then headed to Azul Cantina for brunch. The reviews I have been reading are not good and so maybe I am just way too easy to please. But I was pretty happy with it. Was it the best mexican I have had? No. Was it good? Absolutely. I had a blood orange margarita ont he rocks which was very good. Matty had a mango and vanilla margarita that was also very good. We started with some chips and guacamole. The chips were awesome and the guac was very good. Very simple, reminds me of the guac at Mixto. Then we split an order of pulled pork enchiladas (the sauce was fantastic, the pork was a little lacking but it was tasty) and chilaquiles (awesome! definitely the winner). I will go back, definitely for brunch and I want to try dinner too. then we started awandering as is our style. We headed down to South because Matty wanted a Thin Mint Blizzard from Dairy Queen. Which they dont have at the South Street DQ apparently. I had my heart set on a Blizzard though so I got a Mint Oreo one which was very good but huge! Way too much. I wish the small was about half its size. Matty went to Rita's and got a Birthday Cake water ice. It was weird. We also stopped in Got Game and Game Stop looking for Lego Star Wars for the Wii for me and some fun cheap DS games to take on our trip with us. We have been downloading DS demos from our Wii. We will probably pick up Crosswords DS. I was playing Trauma Center: Under the Knife last night which is pretty fun too. Then we walked over to the Delaware and hung out for a bit and then checked out the Hispanic Fiesta at Penn's Landing. Again I kinda wish we hadnt eaten becaus ehte food looked amazing. We went to the Goya booth as they were handing out free samples of mango or guava wafers (which matty likes) and pico de gallo and chips and juice (mango for matty, passion fruit for me). And then we tried to win Goya hats but instead both won a free Goya Product - cans of Goya Cocktail with Clam. It is like clamato. Eww! Really? Not a good prize! Oh and another thing we have noticed recently at both this and the 4th of July Street Festival. Stonyfield Farms handing out free two packs of yogurt. Now maybe it is because I am not a yogurt fan. But when I am at a street festival in 90 degree weather with 80% humidity the last thing I want is yogurt. But I guess that is just me. On our way back home we stopped at the Second Bank Museum. I had just been discussing with a labmate how we never do any of the historical stuff int he city. So we stopped in. It is interesting. Mostly a portrait gallery. Worth a stop in sometime. We stopped for a rest in Independence Square and then stopped at the gift shop at the Lights of Liberty. It is amazing what you can buy with Philadelphia stamped on it. We then headed home after a stop at DiBruno's for some pepper shooters and pepperoni and at Food and Friends for some blueberries and cheese. We sat outside in our backyard for awhile, enjoying the weather after a long day wandering. I talked to my mom who went up to my godparents' family beach house for the weekend. My grandfather is home. They decided since they couldnt find anything wrong with him, he might as well go home. And since he could walk a flight of stairs he didnt need the rehab facility. So that is good. We ordered dinner from Gianna's (Primo Portobello white pizza [portobello, spinach, onion, sundried tomato and feta] and a Steak Italiano [provolone and rabe]) and watched Jackass Number Two. As awful as it sounds it was pretty funny. Ok, it was really funny. funnier than the first and slightly less uncomfortable. I feel dirty just saying that.

Ok, then, there is our weekend. There will be another post soon with puzzles and a new poll!

2 comments:

Beta said...

Your weekends sound so fun!

I also noticed Stonyfield Farms handing out yogurt at the National BBQ festival a couple of weeks ago. It was over 90 all day and most of the event was about pork and BBQ. So we really didn't get why Stonyfield was there. I love yogurt, but it still seemed a little gross.

nicole said...

i admit, I also enjoyed Jackass 2, i bought one day at Best Buy because we needed somethign to watch that night and I figured why not....and youre right, its slightlky less uncomfortable!