Monday, June 23, 2008

Going "down the shore" post #1

So let's start with the foot update. Friday I went and saw a sport physician at Student Health about my foot. She taught my a lot about the foot. She told me that due to my symptoms she can't determine whether I have tendonitis of the peroneal tendons or a stress fracture or either the cuboid or 5th metatarsal. So tomorrow I am going for an MRI and then I will see another sports medicine guy next Tuesday. We are voting for tendonitis. Because a stress fracture could put my in a boot and on crutches for 6-8 weeks. And I have a sailing vacation planned for August that does not mix with crutches. So keep your fingers crossed for tendonitis. The doc told me to try to stay off it as much as possible, specifically no long walking or standing. Ha.

So this weekend was our first mini summer vacation. We rented a car (a cute Chevy Cobalt) Saturday morning and drove down to Wildwood. The car had GPS which was nice. The weather was perfect and we didnt hit any traffic on the way down. We got to our motel, Le Voyageur, and checked in around 11. Our room was really cute. Then we headed to the boardwalk. I decided to completely ignore the advice of my doctor (sit on the beach, no major walking). First we walked all the way to the North End and back. Stopping for my very first Lime Ricky at Lime Ricky World. It was of the non-alcoholic variety and surprisingly awesome. I thought it would be sickingly sweet and fake tasting. But it was really fresh and refreshing. We also played a few games of skee-ball, of course. Then we kept walking and walking and walking and people watching. We had lunch at Sam's Pizza Palace. A slice of sausage and a slice of white broccoli. Really yummy. Then we headed down to the beach and went swimming for a bit. The water was cold but not freezing. Then we just laid on the beach for awhile and watched the people and the seagulls and just relaxed. After we had had enough sun and sand we went back to the motel, changed and then back to the boardwalk. This time for some rides. We got all-day bracelets. We started with the Tilt-O-Whirl. Good old fashioned Tilt-O-Whirl. The The Great White which is their old-fashioned wooden coaster. It was awesome! I love old coasters. And with no lines we got back seats no problem. We also went in the Chamber of Checkers which is a maze that we totally couldnt do and ended up going out the entrance. We are losers. Throughout the day we went on - Curse of the Mummy 3D thing (not very good), Ferris Wheel, Moby Dick, Rollie's Coaster (little coaster), Sea Dragon (big coaster), Sea Serpent, Super Scooters (bumper cars), Tea Cups, Wave Swinger (totally ripped my pants), Condor, Doo Wopper (little coaster), The Great Nor'easter (big awesome awesome coaster!), Rock and Roll. We had Curley's Fries. And played more skee-ball. There was a thunder and lightning storm. But no rain. Otherwise the weather was awesome all day. We decided to leave the boardwalk for dinner. We went to Juan Pablo's for dinner. It was surprisingly good. Then we put on long sleeve shirts and back to the boardwalk. We went on the carousel and the wooden coaster a few more times. NO lines! All day! We sat up front. And I have to say it is totally a nighttime, front of the coaster ride. It was fantastic. Then I was getting tired and it was getting late. So as a last thing of the night we took a ride on the Sky Ride which is kinda like a ski lift that goes over the park. You arent allowed to bring anything on the ride with you (probably afraid you will drop it on the park). So I dutifully left my purse with the other bags and things at the entrance. Which you could only get to while getting on and off the ride. And it was a nice ride. Very relaxing. We could see the waves in the dark and the whole beach and boardwalk. And then when we got off the ride, my purse was not there. With my cell phone, a bag of skee-ball quarters, cash, my license, my credit card, my ATM card, my health insurance card and the key to our motel. Oh and it was my Puma purse that my mom bought me in Spain. So of course I freaked out and we had to call the cops and fill out a police report and the whole bit. And I know it is my fault. But honestly, if one more person tells me that I am an idiot I am going to scream. Matty did not have his phone on him but the Morey's Piers guys were really nice about that. While still stressing that they have no responsibility for items lost due to stupidity. Matty called and canceled my credit card and my ATM card. And tried to cancel my cell phone. Which of course we called and texted numerous times, it was either turned off or is somewhere without service. AT&T was apparently "updating their system" all weekend and so were incapable of turning off my phone. Which is nice. But yeah. So the motel is owned by a nice couple, Dennis and Grace, who live ont he premises and turn off their phone at 10:30. (It was now around 12) Since we had lost our key we could not get into our room. So a cop had to drive us to the motel in the event we could not wake up the owners. After knocking on their door for awhile they got up and let us in. They were very nice about it and only ended up charging us $5 for the key which was nice. Overall not a great way to end the night.

1 comment:

nicole said...

sounds like a fabulous way to end the night. i would freak out if i lost all that stuff. and you arent stupid, they TELL YOU you HAVE to leave it..so you did. next time hide it in your jacket or somehting! :)