Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cheddar Chicken Corn Chowder

A mouthful to be sure. I have decided that (when possible) Sundays are going to be soup (or chili) and bread days for me. So two weekends ago I decided to try Cheddar Chicken Corn Chowder from The Big Book of Soups and Stews. It was ok. The flavors were great, but it didnt thicken up as much as I would have liked. And it separated out in the fridge and so leftovers were a little tough. You really had to cook it to get it back together. I dont know if I would necessarily make it again. Though if I did I would probably cut back on some of the liquid and also let it cook longer. So that's what I have to say about that. But it was very tasty and so here is the recipe.
Cheddar Chicken Corn Chowder

From The Big Book of Soups & Stews: 262 Recipes for Serious Comfort Food

3 slices bacon, diced
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (I used red because I like it better)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups homemade or store-bought chicken stock or broth
1-1/2 cups unpeeled cubed red potatoes (about 2 medium)
1-1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen (I used frozen Fire Roasted Corn from Trader Joe's)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup seeded, peeled, chopped tomato
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

1 chile pepper, diced (I added this myself)

In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate, leaving 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven. (I left all of the drippings and cooked the chicken breast in them and then removed it from the pan and used the rest of the veggies) Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in corn.

In a bowl, blend flour and milk. Stir into soup. Increase heat to medium-high and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken, reserved bacon, tomato, cheese, (chile if you are using), salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes longer.

Yields 6 servings. (We each had our fill for dinner and then it made 3 lunches)

No comments: