Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bulgur Salad with Edamame and Cherry Tomatoes . . . Sorta

This is one of those recipes that I sorta messed with a bunch. Some on purpose, some due to necessity. First I couldn't find shelled edamame and I wasn't shelling them myself. And I didnt agree with all of the ingredients (we aren't huge fans of dill). And then I didn't want to let it cook as long as I was supposed to. But what we made was very good . . . so there. I am pretty sure that we took pics but they are on the camera at home and so I will add them tonight. (EDIT - Picture added below) Matty had this leftover for lunch and said that it was very good!

Bulgur Salad with Edamame (or baby lima beans) and Cherry Tomatoes


The vitamin C from lemon juice aids iron absorption. Round out the meal with grilled chicken, lemony hummus, and toasted 100 percent whole-wheat pita wedges. (We had this with the leftover Asian Corn Soup and some whole wheat pita). Substitute fresh shelled fava beans for edamame, if you like. (I used frozen baby lima beans because I could easily find them) Fava beans also supply protein, fiber, and B vitamins. Yield: 6 servings (We each had dinner and then 1 lunch) Cooking Light, JUNE 2009 (That is their picture, I will add ours soon! EDIT - Theirs is the top, ours is the bottom)

1 cup uncooked bulgur
1 cup boiling water
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans) (or baby lima beans)
1 pound yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved (we used 12 oz of red cherry tomatoes and then two plum tomatoes chopped)
1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (I left this out)
1 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine bulgur and 1 cup boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour or until bulgur is tender. (Yeah. I let it stand for 30 minutes. Because we were hungry. And it was fine. But I realize that this is how I have always cooked bulgur and so maybe I don't know what it is supposed to be like?)

2. Cook edamame in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. (I followed the cooking directions for the lima beans) Add edamame, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients to bulgur; toss well. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving. (Again, we were hungry so I only let it stand for 30 minutes.)

CALORIES 208 ; FAT 10.5g (sat 1.3g,mono 6.7g,poly 1.2g); CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 59mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.4g; SODIUM 332mg; PROTEIN 6.3g; FIBER 7.1g; IRON 2.2mg

1 comment:

Beth said...

Interesting. I think I made something very similar to this year and didn't love it. So I might have to try it again your way :) And I haven't found it too difficult to get shelled edamame so I'll go with that instead of limas (which I do love). Maybe TJ's stocks both kinds?