Thursday, September 10, 2009

Six-Veggie Bake

This was pretty good. A good basic veggie strata that could easily be played with. I think it needs a bit of heat. Either a hot pepper or some crushed red pepper or something. I was thinking pickled hot cherry or banana peppers would be good because it also needs a little more salt. And it I think it needs salt, it needs salt. I was also thinking black olives would be good. The cheese also needs a bit more bite. I used lite shredded mozzarella from Trader Joe's. Something with a little more flavor, maybe a fontina would be nice. Or you could go Mediterranean and use kalamata olives and feta and some oregano. It seems like it would be easy to play with to easily change the flavor profile. So a good base but needs a little work all in all.

Six-Veggie Bake
(I have no idea where I got this recipe from, but it is available on All Recipes.com and that is where I copied it from.) Servings: 16 (With a side of salad I think this probably makes 6-8 servings)

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
  • 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I used red, about half a pepper)
  • 1/2 cup chopped zucchini (I used a whole small zucchini, chopped)
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 1 cup egg substitute (I used 4 eggs)
  • 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend (I used Spice Terminal's Italian Seasoning)
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients; mix well. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. in a small bowl, combine milk, egg substitute, seasoning blend and pepper; pour over the vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. (We did overnight) Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals 128 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 18 carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.

No comments: