Friday, September 18, 2009

American Blackout and 30 Rock

Do you guys like the way I have been splitting up posts like this. I know that a lot of people (ok, one or two of you) don't like to read the recipes, so I figured it would be easier to skip those if they were separate posts. Let me know if this is easier to read or more difficult. If I dont get any (or many) comments against it I will keep doing it this way.

Last night we watched American Blackout (2006). It won the 2006 Sundance Special Jury Prize for Documentary and was suggested to Matty by Netflix. Of course he forgot what it was about and thought it was about the blackouts in New York until we started watching it. Sooo . . . yeah. It is actually about voter (specifically black voter) disenfranchisement in the 2000, 2002 and 2004 elections as well as about the political machinations behind the career slaying of Representative Cynthia McKinney (D-GA). It was well done. Themes are: Elections in this country suck. First voters don't vote (or at least specific voters don't vote) and then when they do vote (or try to vote) they are stopped by various means by various groups for various reasons. And the "powers that be" do not like people, specifically "uppity black women" (not my words!) from poking their noses where they don't belong. But that isn't really anything new. Or it wasn't to us. So it was less mind-blowing than it wanted to be I think. But worth seeing if that is your sort of thing.

After the movie we decided to start watching 30 Rock on Netflix streaming. We never watched it because we were trying not to pick up new shows, but it is really really funny! We only got through the first 3 or 4 episodes but we are definitely going to keep watching. God I love Netflix streaming.

In related news, Matty and I have recombined queues. So hopefully there will be fewer movies that sit in our living room that neither of us want to watch because Matty put them on his queue but doesn't remember why. And he is being re-given the chance to veto (or at least postpone) my movies. We are going to continue watching 30 Rock streaming. And we are going to start watching Flight of the Conchords Season 2 on DVD.

1 comment:

Beth said...

We also got into 30 Rock after everyone else. For similar reasons I guess. But now we're totally hooked.
Random tangent: I realized last night that I'm having a hard time keeping the various methods of show-watching straight. Like 30 Rock was Netflix streaming, Dead Like Me was hulu, Ugly Betty was ABC.com, and Flight of the Conchords is netflix delivery. The list is longer but I have a tough time remembering where each thing is housed. ALMOST makes me want to make a spreadsheet.