Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chicken and Feta Tabbouleh

I told Matty last night, we need to start making some shitty recipes. Because everything is so damn tasty and so I have to keep all the recipes. One of the points of trying all these new recipes lately has been to thin the herb a bit. I have more recipes than I could ever even think about making and I keep finding more. And I am having some issues with storage. Anyone have a really good recipe storage system they want to share? But here is yet another one that goes into the keep pile (a steadily growing pile). Matty made it since I was late coming home last night so I can't offer any changes he made (if he made any). I know we ran out of feta and so he added some asiago. And we served leftover falafel from last week on the side. This is so easy (so Matty tells me) especially if you have leftover cooked chicken around.

Chicken and Feta Tabbouleh


Fresh: Delicious when eaten right away, the flavors in this one-bowl meal stand up admirably when it's prepared ahead—making this a good take-to-work lunch. Serve with toasted pita wedges or flatbread. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups) (we got two dinners and a lunch out of it) Cooking Light, APRIL 2009 (That's their pic, of course)


3/4 cup uncooked bulgur
1 cup boiling water
2 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast (I think he used Purdue cooked chicken strips maybe? I will have to ask)
1 cup chopped plum tomato
1 cup chopped English cucumber
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1. Place bulgur in a medium bowl; cover with 1 cup boiling water. Let stand 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

2. Combine chicken and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add bulgur to chicken mixture; toss gently to combine.

CALORIES 296 ; FAT 9.5g (sat 3.4g,mono 4.1g,poly 1.2g); CHOLESTEROL 72mg; CALCIUM 128mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.6g; SODIUM 344mg; PROTEIN 28.2g; FIBER 6.4g; IRON 2.7mg

No comments: