Thursday, March 12, 2009

This American Life and Stew

So we finished watching the first season of the Showtime This America Life TV show last night. If you dont know what This American Life is, shame on you. Just kidding, I am not that kind of NPR listener. But you really really should check it out. It is a radio show . . . where they pick a topic . . . and then offer vignettes on that topic . . . about life . . . in America. So yeah, it doesnt sound nearly as fantastic as it is. But really, you should check it out. Like yesterday. Because it makes me laugh out loud while walking to work. And cry on the walk sometimes too. The topics are timely and the reporters and content providers are excellent. And Ira Glass . . . . oh Ira. I had no idea how old he was! Not that he is old. But he just always struck me, as a radio listener, as a 30ish year old hipster type of guy. Not a 50 year old. But yeah. So check it out. And one good way to maybe check it out if you aren't a public radio listener or podcast subscriber is to check out the DVD of the show. Ok, so I was a bit concerned about turning a radio show that does such an excellent job of telling stories and relating ideas without needing to see anything into a television program. I was concerned that the visual representation would take away from the story they were telling. But it didnt. At all. It added in a nice way, but I think many of the stories could have been made for the radio as well. Because they are just that good. The format is the same, a topic, a lead story, Ira introducing the show from a desk in a . . . location (you just have to see it), then a few acts ont he topic. The shows are half hour instead of a full hour which left me wanting more. And there are only 6 episodes in the season. But I have heard that the show really didnt come into its own until Season 2. And if that is true I cant wait to see it because Season 1 was great. So yeah. Check it out! Or at least the radio show. Or hey, if youw ant to jump right in the This American Life Live show is being broadcast (maybe to a theater near you) on April 23rd.

Last night for dinner, while watching This American Life we had Pinto Bean and Andouille Sausage Stew. Again from Eating Well. We modified it some. Firstly we used 4 cans of canned pinto beans instead of dried. Because I didnt want to deal with dried. And so then we simmered it for half an hour, then added the sausage and bacon back and then simmered for another hour. And we only used 3 cups of liquid instead of 8. I used 2 and a quarter cups low sodium fat free chicken broth and 3/4 cup water. And I used a whole red pepper and a whole green pepper because I didnt read the directions and what was I going to do with a quarter of a pepper leftover anyway? And I used a whole jalapeno which was probably about 4 tsp. And I minced the garlic. And it was really good. Next time I might smash a can or half a can of the beans so it thickened it a little bit. But otherwise it really was excellent. And made enough for the 2 of us for dinner and then probably 4 lunch portions. Ours was a bit wetter, than that picture. Maybe I should start posting my pics of dinner too. Ok, well here is the best I can do, this is a pic of the leftovers (taken with my phone). So it wasnt as thick last night when it was hot and fresh. So maybe it will be even better leftover. Wow, that is not a very good pic is it? Well pretend it is less green looking. It really is really good and we will be making it again and you should try it.

No comments: