Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Between Patrick and Joseph

Last night we met after work at Greek Lady for dinner which was great as always. Then we went up to Distrito for a drink before the movie. This is Jose Garces's (Amada, Tinto) new "modern Mexican" restaurant in The Hub in University City. The space itself is gorgeous. They did a fantastic job. We sat at the bar and both had the house margarita (figured we should start witht he basics). It was very good. But I am not sure that I would be able to have more than one. The $10 price tag is part of it, but it was very sour and so I am not sure that I would be able to go there for "drinks." It old Matty I thought it was a good dinner margarita. If you are just going to have one while eating it was very good. The menu looks interesting. A mix of small plates and entrees with a wide range of prices ($6-$32) and complexity (chicken enchiladas - pork belly mole). I would like to go back and try the food, but it is definitely a "special occasion" place.

Then we went to the movie, Watchmen. So I have not read the book (or books) so I can't comment on how well it matches. I hear it is pretty good. I would like to read it to compare. First off I will say that it was very good. Excellent even. The acting is superb. The movie is beautiful. And the effects are perfect. It was 162 minutes but didnt drag at all. So those are all the pluses. On the minus category, it was very gory. One of the bloddiest movies I have seen in awhile. And not just the stylized bloodiness like Sin City, but actual gory bloodiness that I looked away fromt he screen for. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it is a thing to mention. If you are not a blood and guts person, beware. The only actual problem I had with it was that, since I havent read it, I was awfully confused at times. I felt like there were some background points that I really wanted explained. I wanted to know a bit more about the Minutemen and why their were Watchmen to begin with. I wanted a clearer explanation of the changes in history/current events as they differ from what really happened. However, the movie is close to 3 hours, so I understand the need to forego some of the background. But I think a little more info-dump narrative even would have placated some of my questions maybe. And some of the background I am just interested in but wasnt really integral to the plot, like Rorschach's mask. But while watching the movie I didnt know if it was integral or not, like the cat, and so I kept thinking about it. But I dont want to give anything away. So there you go. I really really liked it. I like the story, I like that they are (mostly) like Batman ("real people") as opposed to Superman (not "real people"). I thought the movie itself and the acting was spectacular. I highly recommend it to anyone who isnt afraid of a bit of blood and guts and who is willing to suspend reality for awhile. It is a superhero movie, but with depth and plot.

So in other news, actual news. Things that caught my attention this morning and therefore I am bringing to yours. Firstly, in an effort to thaw "chilly relations" between Russia and the US, Hillary met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Geneva earlier this month and presented him with a token of our willingness to "reset" our relationship - a small red button with the word "reset" written on it, in Russian. A cute little thing, maybe a little low on the dignified scale, but a gift to warm things up. Except the the button had "peregruzka" written on it, which means "overcharged." As opposed to "perezagruzka" which actually means "reset". Now the Foreign Minister and the Secretary took this all in stride and apparently the mistake was fixed and while the Russian media has poked a bit of fun at Clinton, and the US, its not like she accidentally declared war. But seriously. We dont have anyone in the state department who speaks Russian? Really?! Or no one with a decent English-Russian dictionary?! C'mon people! This coming just one day after the President and First Lady completely screwed up a gift giving session with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The Brown's presented the Obamas with
a pen holder fashioned from the oak timber of HMS Gannet, a Navy vessel that served on anti-slavery missions off Africa.
AND
a framed commissioning paper for the HMS Resolute, a Royal Navy ship that came to symbolize British-American goodwill when it was rescued by the U.S. from icebergs and given to Queen Victoria. It is the sister ship of the HMS Gannet.
AND
a first edition of Martin Gilbert's seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill, whose World War II partnership with President Franklin Roosevelt symbolized the U.S.-Anglo alliance.
AND
for Sasha and Malia, Sarah Brown, the Prime Minister's wife, gave each an outfit from Topshop, a British chain of clothing stores, and selected six children's books by British authors which have yet to be published in the U.S.
And what did we give them? A "special collector's box" of DVDs of 25 Classic American movies. AND "toy helicopters modeled after Marine One" for their 2 boys. Now Gordon Brown is not like a particular movie buff or anything. And Marine One toys can be found in the White House gift shop. So what exactly were they thinking giving these to the Prime Minister of a country who has stodd by us through some of our stupidest recent blunders and who was the first guests the President has had? I have no idea, but someone needs a better shopper apparently. It isnt like there isnt anyone in Washington who knows how to give state gifts right?! And while this was barely reported in the US, a few other people took notice, and are not pleased at all.

And fianlly for my rant of the day: Pope visits Africa, reaffirms ban on condoms. Ugh.
More than 22 million people in sub-Saharan Africa are infected with HIV, according to a 2008 UNAIDS/WHO report. Nine out of 10 children with HIV in the world live in the region, which has 11.4 million orphans because of AIDS, the report said, and 1.5 million people there died of the disease in 2007.
So yeah, the best idea is to go there and reaffirm that they are going to hell if they use artificial contraception. GRRR!!!!!!!!!!! But, on a positive note,
He has, however, assembled a panel of scientists and theologians to consider the narrow question of whether to allow condoms for married couples, one of whom has HIV
Though "it is still not clear how the pope will rule on the matter." So glad I am only a recovering Catholic.

No comments: