Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday Party 2009

I know it has been forever, but I have been really busy. With so many things. One of the things I have been most busy with recently was my holiday party. I look forward to this party all year. I start planning in August. I sent out the invitations in October. I start setting my menu in November (only because Matty cant handle me doing it earlier) and it is set by Thanksgiving. I started cooking on the 6th. I love doing it. The decorating and the music and the planning and the cooking and the favors and everything. Except maybe the shopping. Though I do love the reason to go to Wegman's!

It went really really well. There were 33 people in total (representing Boston, Maryland, New York and of course Philly), which is pretty considerable since we have a tiny apartment. But everyone seemed to have a good time. I thought I would at least post the menu here. If anyone is interested in any recipes, let me know. I will also hopefully post pictures soon. (Edit: some picture have been added)

Oh, by the way, we had an International theme.

Africa and Asia:
Morocco:
Moroccan Country Bread
Kefta (meatballs)
Sweet Onion Raisin Sauce
Ras el Hanout dipping oil

India:
Indian Spiced Cocktail Nuts
Curry Dip
Roasted Onion Raita
Naan (bought)

Thailand:
Tempeh Cakes
Thai Dipping Sauce
Peanut Sauce

China:
Edamame Ginger Dip
Rice Crackers (bought)
Chinese Potsticker
Potsticker Dipping Sauce
Spicy Mango Sauce
Plain and Mushroom-Vegetable Steamed Buns (bought)

The Americas:
Tortilla and Plantain Chips (bought)

Mexico:
Tomatillo Salsa
Crispy Corn Cakes
Smoky Black Bean Salsa
Cotija (bought)

Venezuela:
Arepas
Avocado Salsa
Black Beans

Southeastern USA:
Creole Corn Bread
Andouille (bought) and Biscuits
Remoulade Sauce

Europe:
The UK:
Irish Soda Bread
Irish Cheddar with Porter (bought)
White Stilton with Cranberries (bought)

Spain:
Marinated Olives
Salted Almonds
Hazelnut Romesco Sauce
Chorizo (bought) and Red Wine
Soy Chorizo (bought) and Red Wine
Spanish Meatballs in Almond Sauce

Italy:
Marinated Olives
Roasted Tomato and Almond Pesto
White Bean and Roasted Garlic Spread
Meatballs
Marinara
Fresh Rosemary Foccacia
Broccoli Rabe
Tuscan Bread (bought)

Croatia:
Potato Bread
Stuffed Tomatoes
Sour Cream Sauce

Greece:
Tzatziki
Skordalia
Pita (Bought)
Keftedes (meatballs)

Turkey:
Feta Baked Hummus
Za'atar yogurt dip
Pita (bought)
Kofte (meatballs)
Baba Ghanoush

Other:
Chicken Skewers
Assorted Crackers (bought)
Veggies (celery sticks, baby carrots, grape tomatoes)
Gluten Free Bread
Hot Spiced Cider (bought)

Dessert:
Chocolate Chip Cheese Dip
Pumpkin Dip
Oreo Balls
Raspberry Coulis
Caramel Sauce (bought following tragic burning of homemade caramel)
Graham crackers, Newman O's, strawberries, angel food cake (bought)

Cookies and Candies (favors):
Peppermint Bark
Peanut Butter Toffee Bark
Graham Cracker Bark
Crunchy Sesame Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
Croatian Honey Biscuits
Molasses-Spice Cookies
Whiskey Balls
Butter Balls (aka Mexican Wedding Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes)
Toffee Cookies
Pfeffernusse
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Most things were made vegan if possible. And everything was meticulously (or obsessively, depending on your point of view) based on meat, gluten, soy or nut content.

Oh and I made snowglobes as favors as well.

Things I learned: you can stuff a tomato with damn near anything and at least some people will love it. I need to work on recognizing how much a recipe will make. 4 cups or any dip or spread is way too much!

And Matty is still talking to me. God Bless Him. He was up until about 5:30 Sunday morning cleaning, not to mention the several hours of cooking and baking and grocery shopping each and every night, I put him through the previous week.

3 comments:

dx said...

everything was delicious. you totally outdid yourself this year, darlin. thanks again for inviting me. <3

-dx

princess said...

The arepas recipe (along with quite a few others) that we used is from Cooking Light (my fave as I am sure you know if you read my recipe posts regularly. Here is the link: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1809139

We bought Goya's Masarepa flour which apparently (though we didnt know it at the time) is the same as harina precocida.

I have to say that I didnt get a chance to try these on Saturday but I had some last night and they are a bit dense and hard. I am not sure how they were when fresh (we made them Friday night). However, the Corn Cakes recipe we used for Mexico (I also didnt try fresh [Friday] or on Saturday) were awesome leftover last night. That recipe can be found here: http://www.recipezaar.com/crispy-corn-cakes-with-smoky-black-bean-salsa-360628

They are kinda a pain in the ass but so delicious. Make sure that your pan is sufficiently non-stick!

Nancy M. said...

Yum! One of my favorite brunch snacks is arepas with queso blanco and guava jam at the restaurant Bogota in Park Slope. If I'm ever feeling particularly ambitious, I'll try making my own.