Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Get off the Fucking Sidewalk!

I am gonna rant here for a bit. About something I have mentioned previously and am going to mention again. Bikes on sidewalks. It is pretty much my number 1 pet peeve. It drives me to the point of wanting to actually stop them and yell at them. And frequently I do say, out loud, as they ride past me and give me that "could you please get out of my way, I am so much more important than you" look, "Get off the goddamn fucking sidewalk!" It is a sideWALK. There are bike lanes. In the road. Where bikes belong. In the ROAD. I know they aren't on all streets. I know that it is dangerous to ride you bike in this city. I know that there are many one way streets in this city. I DONT CARE - GET OFF THE FUCKING SIDEWALK! If you need a bike lane, find a street with one. I know it is dangerous in this city, buses trying to run you down, people opening doors without looking first. I DONT CARE - GET OFF THE FUCKING SIDEWALK! That is why I dont ride a bike. It isnt just because I am just lazy. It is because I am afraid of getting hit by a car. Or a bus. So I walk my ass where I need to go. And yeah, it takes longer. But that is the price I pay for not riding my bike. And yeah, one way streets. Ok, well if you go up, or down, one street, you are going to find a street going the other way. And since you are saving so much ever-loving time on your bike, I think you can take the extra minute to go on a street that is going your way. Or go against traffic. I dont fucking care. Just get off the goddamn sideWALK. ESPECIALLY those of you 1) going the same direction as traffic on a street with bike lanes (I am talking to all of your who pass me going west on Walnut). 2) Those of you with fucking saddlebags. There is not enough room for your big ass bags and me on the sidewalk and since you are bigger, that means I either have to stop and move out of your way, or step into traffic that you think is too dangerous to ride your fucking bike in. You want to walk your bike on the sideWALK? Whatever, but just like I get out of people's way when I am carrying 30 lbs of groceries and my bags might hit them, get out of my way with you bike so that it does not inconvenience me that you are WALKING a faster more efficient mode of transportation. As far as the new controversy in PHilly about whether it should be legal for you to run red lights in the city when there is no traffic coming - I DONT GIVE A SHIT. GET OFF THE FUCKING SIDEWALK. Seriously. One of these days I am going to push one of you into traffic and I will feel bad, but also a little vidicated. And if I see someone else do it first, I am going to clap. Fair warning. It is a sideWALK. It is for pedestrians. For people WALKing. I would get just as angry if I was a biker or a driver and there was someone walking down the street instead of the sidewalk. Vehicles (including bikes) stay on the road and walkers (and babies [babies, not 4 year olds - dont even get me started about strollers] in strollers or people in wheelchairs) stay on the sidewalk. K? The sidewalks in this city aren't kept up, are frequently closed due to construction and arent big enough for all of us. But they dont have to be, because they are only supposed to be for pedestrians. So stop giving me that look because you have to slow down because I am WALKing on the sideWALK and get off it!

No comments: