Monday, January 12, 2009

Working backwards

Ok, I am way behind on posts, I know. And I am going to do my best this week to catch up. And I am going to do it in reverse chronological order. So most recent stuff first. So if you are waiting to here how my Christmas was you are going to have to wait a bit.

So this weekend was our post-New Years brunch. We used to throw the brunch on New Years Day and watch/make fun of the Mummers. But there were several problems with this. 1) It meant we had to be up and functional on New Years Day in order to cook and throw a party. 2) It meant our guests had to be up and function on New Years Day in order to attend and not throw up at a party. And honestly, those 2 criteria simply werent working out. So generally we throw the brunch the first Saturday after New Years. Saturday because, well it isnt a regular 2 hour, single mimosa brunch and I at least need time to recover from it. However, the first Saturday after New Years this year was also the first Saturday Matty and I were back from vacation and so it was Matty-Sara Christmas. So, to make that long and boring explanation end, this weekend was our post-New Years brunch.

It went pretty well I think. 12 people, 13 bottles of champagne/asti/cava/prosecco, 8 hours. Doesnt sound like your normal brunch? Well you are doing it wrong. This year we served blueberry french toast casserole; carmelized onion, spinach and asiago quiche; veggie and real breakfast sausage (real from Martin's - delish!); Matty's potatoes; assorted fruits; assorted olives; sundried tomato provolone bread; spinach and cheese foccaccia that Tre brought; brie en croute with sherried mushrooms; apple, almond and cranberry quinoa; cranberry and blood orange zest scones with mango chutney, strawberry preserves and honey butter; pumpkin bread (a gift from someone Matty works with); cranberry bread (from my Aunt Lyn); moose munch (from my grandparents); egg nog cake; mississippi spiced pecans and frozen mocha cheesecake (from Dan). We also had fixins for hot whiskey (Matty's new favorite drink from Ireland) and premixed Malibu Cranberry Splashes. Oh and lots and lots and lots of bubbly stuff.
The first guest showed up at 11:59 and I think the last ones left around 8ish maybe? I am not entirely sure as I helped my fair share towards the 13 bottles and lost track of time around 7. I was also asleep by 10. It happens. Thank you to everyone (beth, tara and nancy) who provided playlists and music for the brunch. It was much appreciated by many of us. Some of us preferred gay house and that took over for awhile. But the official playlist was great. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post the whole list.

Yesterday we went on a guitar search. Dan gave me Guitar Hero World Tour and one guitar for Christmas. So Matty and I wanted to get a second guitar so that we can play together. So off we went. 6 stores and 3 phone calls later we find out that 1) they do not sell the Guitar Hero World Tour guitar separately. Only as part of the bundle with the game, or part of the 2 guitar/2 game bundle, or part of the whole band kit bundle. 2) No one in the city seems to sell the Guitar Hero Legends of Rock guitar. Well not entirely true. fye at the Gallery had it for 50. And Gamestop at the Gallery had the Aerosmith guitar and game for 80. So then we called Best Buy and they said they had lots of the Legends of Rock guitar and game for 60. So we got a car and went down there and bought it, because at that point I just wanted it bought and done. Of course by "lots" they apparently meant 1. But whatever. We got the one and now we have Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero Legends of Rock, 1 World Tour guitar and 1 Legends of Rock wireless guitar. The new (legends) guitar is going to be mine. It is a bit smaller than the world tour one, but it doesnt bother me. And it doesnt have the tap thingies on the neck, which I dont imagine I will ever be good enough to use. And it doesnt have a star power button, which kinda sucks, because I am not good and the move thingy you have to do to activate star power. But it is something to work on. It feels a bit tighter than the world tour one too. But I cant explain what that means. You will just have to come over a play. Legends of Rock the game is pretty cool. A whole new group of songs to play. And there is a co-op career mode so Matty and I get to play that together. I kinda feel like Medium is a bit harder on Legends of Rock than World Tour. But maybe I am just not used to the songs yet. But that is what we did last night.

Ok, food wise we have not done much new cooking lately. But I have 3 new recipes I am trying this week so I will have to let you know how they go.

Movies:
10th and Wolf - A movie about the Philly mob shot entirely (and very obviously) in Pittsburgh. That doesnt really even mention Philly. So why not just set it is Pittsburgh? I mean it isnt a true store or anything. The only thing Philly about it was that Tony Luke Jr was in it. But not as Tony Luke Jr. I would say, watch it if you want, but dont spend any time or money getting it.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Wow. Fail. Really. I mean it is kinda cute and fun. But it isnt an Indy film. And it isnt a 50s alien film, which apparently they were going for. So, fail. I was really hoping for awesome. And then I was hoping for "not cringeworthy". And there were some cringeworthy, shark jumping scenes. So yeah. Indy fans, you should see it cuz it is part of the legacy, but dont get your hopes up.

We now have Nightmare Before Christmas, which I wanted to watch before Christmas but didnt get around to and Matty doesnt particularly want to watch. And Paragraph 175. This is what Netflix has to say
"Actor Rupert Everett provides the narration for this disquieting documentary that shines a light on the Third Reich's vicious persecution of male homosexuals during World War II. The title comes from an arcane, 1871 German statute making sodomy punishable by incarceration (with the ultimate goal to eradicate gays completely). Only a handful of survivors -- now frail and withered -- remain to recount their traumatic tales in this poignant film."
Sounds like fun! So I predict a major slowing down of the Netflix machinery.

TV:
Mad Men Season 1: It started a little slow. But we are definitely hooked. Cant wait for Season 2 to come out. Really spectacularly done. Acting, wardrobe, directing. Really.
The Wire Season 2: Just started last night. We will see how it goes. Liked Season 1, but not sure how this season will go.

Ok, well I should do some actual work at work today. I will fill you in on Matty-Sara Christmas, New Years, skiing, and Christmas soon. Hopefully! As a preview:

No comments: