Friday, January 16, 2009

Brrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it cold there? It is cold here in Philly. And not just cold, because I should be able to handle cold. RI was cold. But the wind. For Christ's sake. I totally wimped out and took a bus this morning. That was how cold it was. I was willing to pay money to not be in the cold for another half hour.

Ok, so last night we made an Irish Farmhouse Bake from Irish Food & Folklore which Matty bought for me in Kinsale, Ireland. It is a really cool book actually. It has both traditional and modern Irish recipes along with explanations and a goodly amount of Irish history and folklore thrown in for good measure. Yeah thats right. Goodly. Ok, so this was by far our least healthy meal this week. Though I did make a spinach salad on the side. First you boil some potatoes. While they are boiling you fry some bacon in butter! That's right, not just bacon, bacon fried in butter. When that is crispy you remove it from the pan (and I made Matty drain some of the fat too) and then fry onions and mushrooms in the bacon fat-butter combination. When the potatoes and the onions and mushrooms are done, you toss the bacon, onions, mushrooms and potatoes in a baking dish. Then you season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with some fresh parsley. Then you pour double cream (or in our case heavy cream because I wasnt finding cream with MORE fat in it) over the top. And then you top with shredded farmhouse cheddar (or Celtic cheddar in our case). Then you bake. And it was delicious (how could it not be right?).

We also played some Guitar Hero. We finished the co-op career mode on Legends of Rock. I have to say, I like some of the songs on Legends of Rock, but I like World Tour better. 1) When playing co-op career (I am not sure about two player quickplay), in order to activate star power, you both have to do it at the same time. And you have to do the swing up in the air thing. Well there is rarely in a song a good time for both the bassist and the guitarist to do that at the same time. 2) Legends of Rock is way harder than World Tour. So I guess I am saying that I am just not that good. But it was really frustrating. There were two songs that we could not do. Black Sunshine by White Zombie. The bass part is just ridiculous and Matty had to give up on hard. And One by Metallica. I just couldnt get either the bass or the guitar. I cant do blue to green or vice versa transitions fast enough I guess. I mean we could obviously have kept trying and eventually gotten through it. I mean people do it on expert all the time. But that just isnt that much fun. I was playing on Medium. I want to be able to get through it within 4 or 5 tries. Not 100% or anything. But not fail out. Thats all. 3) You know when you screw up and you get that little bouncy thing? Well that is fine, but I dont want to get that little bouncy thing when Matty screws up. It throws me off. And the noise when you screw up is also too loud.

Ok, so for some back up updates. Though I have lab meeting in 18 minutes. So we got new bookcases for the apartment, but I will tell that whole story once I can post pics. So back to Matty-Sara Christmas which was the 3rd. It was very nice. We were better about buying less crap for stockings. So that was probably good. My big gift to Matty was that I got a half dozen or so gift certificates to restaurants that he has wanted to try but that I have been reticent to go to. Not because I dont think i will like them, but because I like going to the same places and staying home and he likes to constantly be out and about and doing new things. The gift cards themselves arent worth much. But since there is money behind it, we will actually go to those places. And whenever he wants to use one of those, I promised to go with him. And I got him the Philadelphia Inquirer Restaurant guide and put them all in there. So he really liked that I think. Matty's big gift to me was a new food processor. The day before our holiday party I kinda killed ours. Like it wasnt dead, but it was hurting. And I use it a lot and it was a cheapy Hamilton Beach one and it was REALLY loud. So he got me a Kitchen Aid 12 cup food processor** and it also has a 4 cup insert so that I have a big one and a small one at the same time. So we got rid of our little Black and Decker one too. It is really heavy but it if Kitchen Aid and I shouldnt be able to kill this one. And it is really pretty and comes with its own case for all the attachments and blades and stuff. I know people always say not to buy girls appliances for presents, but I dont know why. I havent gotten a chance to use it yet and I am totally itching. Yay! He also got me the Hug series of blocks from Absolute Abstract that I love and are now on the new bookcase. I will post pics, hopefully this weekend. Let me see. I got 2 Irish soccer scarves. One real real one for Celtic. And one generic Ireland one. I am using the Celtic one everyday now, except in bad weather I will use the Ireland one. And I gave him my goggles that he used while skiing. He is officially a skier now and should have some of his own ski gear. He got me a bunch of chocolate in Ireland. Yum! So yeah, we had a very nice Christmas. I made a little baked ham and my mom's Christmas frittata (potato, sausage and mushroom).

Ok, lab meeting time. More later. Next up (after bookcase) is New Years. And then skiing!

Edit: Matty has informed me that it is a 12 cup, not 9 as I originally wrote. Sorry Matty!

1 comment:

nicole said...

Yes, it is cold here. It's a chilly 52 degrees here :). Right now I love south Florida.