Friday, May 22, 2009

Movies, movies, movies

I have seen a few movies since the last time I reviewed some so here goes. First up, while Matty was away at "Guy's Night" I watched:
Failure to Launch (2006). Which actually was not exactly about what I thought it was about, sorta. In general (this part I knew) it is about a guy (played by Matthew McConaughey) who lives at home with his parents (played [suprisingly, to me] by Kathy Bates and Terry Bradshaw). He has "failed to launch" as it were. What I didnt know was that his parents hire a professional "launcher" (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) to pretend to date him and to get him to move out. Which makes for a more interesting story. There were definitely parts of this movie that were not awful. Which is a better compliment than it sounds like. His friends (played by Justin Bartha and Bradley Cooper) also live at home with their parents and are really fun characters. And Zooey Deschanel is in it and I love her for no rational reason I know of. It is definitely a "chick flick" in nature. But it has its moments that I think guys would appreciate and I would definitely recommend as an easy romantic comedy.

And I also watched:
Ever After (1998). Supposedly the real story behind the Grimm Brothers' Cinderella. It is the story of Danielle de Barbarac (played by Drew Barrymore) who has to live with her evil stepmother (played by Anjelica Huston) and stepsisters (played by Megan Dodds and Melanie Lynskey) and falls for the Prince (played by Dougray Scott) as he falls for her, under false pretenses. You know, Cinderella. It is interesting, throwing Leonardo da Vinci (played by Patrick Godfrey) into the mix and adding a bit of political commentary by Danielle. It seemed like the actors were either trying too hard, or not enough. Like they wanted to seem very Fariy Tale-ish and stereotypical. But the whole idea was that was the "real" story so they should be more "real" right? I dont know. I also feel like Dougray Scott wasn't princely or handsome enough. I would say if you are bored, it is better than not watching, but I wouldnt go out of my way to see it.

Sunday night we watched:
Doubt (2008). It is pretty much about doubt. Set in a Catholic school in the Bronx of 1964 run by the Sisters of Mercy, it is about what happens when there is some doubt about a new priest's (played by Philip Seymour Hoffman) innocence and motives when he is accused of wrongdoing. I have had issues with Philip Seymour Hoffman in the past and may have even said that I don't like him, but I think it is just that he plays so many characters who are easy to dislike. In this he is outstanding. Meryl Streep plays the principal and is absolutely awesome. Amy Adams is shockingly good, simply in comparison to her previous roles. Viola Davis was also very good, though I do not entirely understand why she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. She was very good, but her role was so short. I would highly highly highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

This week we also watched:
Helvetica (2007). It is a documentary about, you guessed it, Helvetica. The typeface. It was certianly an interesting thing to choose to do a documentary on, I will give them that. It was good. I won't say it was great. I feel like there were some parts that were much more focussed to people who have a much higher appreciation for typeface and typeface design than I apparently do. Some more background would have been nice I guess. But it is worth seeing I guess.

And finally, last night on Blu-Ray we watched:
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008). Did you like the first Hellboy? Because if you didn't, you aren't going to like this one. Did the creatures in Pan's Labyrinth give you mightmares? I would avoid this. It really is a continuation of the story of Hellboy (played by Ron Perlman) and the Bureau of Paranormal Reseach and Defense. And Guillermo del Toro has apparently decided to more fully embrace the weirdness. Matty said it was one of the worst movies he ever saw. I disagree. He is just overly judgemental, he has seen plenty of absolutely crap. I think it was fine. Nothing spectacular, but not awful.

Ok, other things . . . we are leaving this evening for a real vacation! We are going down to Williamsburg, VA to do the whole Colonial Williamsburg thing, and Busch Gardens! Yay! I am excited. Mostly just to be getting away for a few days. We both really need a break from here and from people in general I think. But also for the roller coasters!

Last night we ate ethe first of our broccoli. It was awesome!

And . . . that is all for now. Hope you all have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend!

No comments: